On The Bench Blog
Spring Clean Your Body!
In traditional Chinese medicine, the element of Wood is emblematic of Spring (seems logical with trees springing back into blossom and leaf!) and the organ within our bodies associated with the Wood element is the Liver. And what does the Liver do? Well, amongst other things, it cleanses our blood of toxins!
We live in a world where we are bombarded with toxins - in the polluted air we breathe, the medication we take, in processed foods, alcohol, cigarettes, from pesticide residues on our fruit and veg and chemicals in the products we use to 'clean' our homes and our bodies. Toxins absorbed by the body are dealt with in the liver. And how does it deal with them? It encases them in a protective layer of fat. When we try and lose weight by stripping the body of fat, these toxins are often released back into our system where they become encased in more fat or cause the immune system to become overwhelmed leading to illness.
It's happened to me - I'm sure it's happened to you: you're on a diet, you're doing really well! Then suddenly, no matter how hard you try, you stop losing weight and/or you pick up every bug that's going around.
When the Liver is overwhelmed, it can leave you feeling sluggish, irritable or angry, suffering from headaches and it can affect your metabolism and digestion.
Love your Liver
So what can you do? Show your Liver some love...
- Cleanse the body gently of toxins with a sensible detox diet (for 10 days avoid sugar, alcohol, caffeine, processed foods, gluten, dairy and eat plenty of organic fruit and veg, organic fish) and stop smoking. After 10 days, be choosy what you let back in to your diet and notice the effect it has if you do reintroduce it - if it feels like it's doing you harm, cut it out!
- Support your detox with Nature's Sunshine's Healthy Starter Pack, a 10-day supply of supplements which support the cleansing process and take an Omega 3 to make sure that you are still getting the good fats the body needs
- Switch from chemical-laden skincare products to an organic alternative such as Neal's Yard
- Get outdoors! We are so lucky to live with so much nature on our doorstep so take the opportunity to get out and enjoy it, soak up the Spring sunshine (and top up your Vitamin D) and appreciate all the signs of new life bursting forth!
- When you Spring-clean your home, try to use less-toxic products, they are out there! Try Method or Ecover
Follow this advice and you should feel full of the joys of Spring in no time!
Please login first in order for you to submit comments